News & Events
The Changing Face of the MHU Campus
What’s up with all the work around campus this fall? Glad you asked.
The Edgewood building soon will be burned by the Mars Hill Fire Department as a training exercise. Edgewood was built in 1925 as a residence for a college vice present, and it later served as the home for presidents Blackwell, Bentley, and Lennon. It was last used as a residence in 2000, and now structural and other problems have taken their toll on the building. Once it is removed, that land will be used for parking for the residence halls at the top of what’s traditionally been called "Men’s Hill," including a new residence hall to be built between Laurel and Joe Anderson Drive.
New university banners have been hung on light poles throughout the campus and along Highway 213. The banners effectively brand the campus with the name and logo of the university, in its bold new color scheme.
The demolition of two sections of Spilman Hall will commence in the near future. The west wing sections, added to the building in 1921, have been used for storage for several years and will be removed to make way for a drainage system meant to protect the original building from excess moisture.
Electrical work has been upgraded in both Owen Theatre and the Loft. This collaborative project between the university and the Mars Hill Fire Department brings the two buildings into compliance with updated fire safety codes.