Mars Hill New Music Festival
April 19-20, 2013
All events held on the campus of Mars Hill College (exact locations in parentheses).
All events open to the public and free admission.
Featured Guest Artist: Bryan Hooten, trombonist/composer
Friday April 19, 2013
12:00 PM – Meet the Guest Artist Luncheon (Pittman Dining Hall)
3:00 PM – A Tribute to Elliott Carter (Broyhill Chapel)
Lecture/performance by MHC faculty and others
- Brief lecture by Dr. Alan Theisen, Mars Hill College faculty
- Steep Steps – Elliott Carter (Rebecca Long, bass clarinet)
- Scrivo in Vento – Elliott Carter (Misty Theisen, flute)
7:30 PM – Interactive Improvisation Hang Out by Bryan Hooten (Moore Auditorium)
- Every attendee is encouraged to bring their voice/instrument and participate!
- No experience with improvisation necessary.
Saturday April 20, 2013
10:00 AM – Yoga for Musicians Session (Moore Lobby)
3:00 PM – Guest Artist Concert by Bryan Hooten (Broyhill Chapel)
- Selected original compositions – Bryan Hooten
- Selected compositions – Charles Mingus
- Diologo from Sonata for Solo Cello – Gyorgy Ligeti
- Free improvisations – Bryan Hooten
7:30 PM – Final Concert (Moore Auditorium)
Featuring MHC students and MHC faculty
- Three Pieces for Three Trumpets – Ryan Kisner [world premiere] (MHC students)
- Eight Pieces for Four Timpani – Elliott Carter (Charles Edwards, percussion)
- Credo in Us – John Cage (MHC students)
- Quartet for El Anatsui – Everette Minchew [world premiere] (MHC Saxophone Quartet)
- Lied – Luciano Berio (Daniel Luper, clarinet)
- 15 Step – Radiohead, arr. Bryan Hooten [world premiere] (MHC Jazz Ensemble)
- Haywood Bluff – Dave Wilken [world premiere] (MHC Jazz Ensemble)
Brief reception to follow final concert.
Founder and director of MHNMF: Alan Theisen
Manager of MHNMF: Rebecca Long