Applicants living at a distance may submit a DVD in lieu of a live audition. Contact the Voice Coordinator for details.
The Department of Music provides an environment in which professional and non-professional musicians may continue to develop the skills, knowledge, concepts and sensitivities essential in recognizing and cultivating quality musical experiences. This development takes place within a liberal arts academic community that:
- enables the pursuit of undergraduate degrees in music
- enhances the breadth of non-music degrees
- emphasizes the artistic and personal maturity of the individual
- encourages personal enrichment through diverse musical experiences
- embraces professional values, responsibilities and relationships
- values highly-qualified, professionally-active faculty who continue the tradition of excellence in music
The Department of Music holds full membership in the National Association of Schools of Music. The Music Education degree is part of the Teacher Education Program, which is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction.