Mathematics & Computer Science Department
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science offers programs directed toward the following goals.
The goals of the Mathematics program:
- To provide a major in mathematics designed to develop mathematical knowledge and skills that may be applied in a variety of professions.
- To prepare students for graduate studies in mathematics and related fields of study.
- To provide a minor in mathematics supporting other majors.
- To provide service courses supporting other majors.
- To prepare students for secondary teacher licensure in mathematics.
- To prepare students for teacher licensure with a concentration in mathematics at the elementary and middle-school level.
- To provide courses that develop the mathematical understanding and skills necessary for individual growth, successful careers, and responsible, informed citizenship as part of the program of general studies.
- To prepare those students whose mathematical knowledge and skills are insufficient for college-level work.
The goals of the Computer Science program:
- To prepare students for employment in computer science and information management.
- To offer an opportunity for non-majors to gain in-depth exposure in an area of computer science through the minor programs.
- To offer computer applications courses which provide basic technological skills for students in other majors.
- To prepare students for graduate study in computer science or information management.