What is the Honors Program at MHU?
The Honors Program is a unique curricular program, designed in 2009 by faculty members from all five of Mars Hill University’s academic divisions and based on research into best practices in college honors education across the country. The program features a multi-disciplinary approach that complements the college’s interdisciplinary general education core.
The Mars Hill University Honors Program enhances the college’s rigorous Liberal Arts education, graduating exceptional students who emerge as intellectually curious scholars and effective, principled leaders –at their institution, in their communities, and in the world.
A graduate of the Honors Program at MHU will:
- Demonstrate advanced skills in critical, creative, and independent thinking through multi-disciplinary study,
- Display exceptional written, oral, visual, and technological literacy to a variety of pertinent audiences,
- Exhibit a love of learning, risk-taking, and intellectual curiosity,
- Demonstrate effective research and information literacy skills in academic and civic environments,
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership abilities in the promotion of community and global awareness through active civil engagement, and
- Be an active member of a community that fosters friendship, scholarship, creative expression, and personal growth.
To be eligible for the program, a student must meet at least one of the following criteria: 1150 SAT (Critical Reading + Mathematics), 25 ACT (Composite), or have at least a 3.7 GPA. Applicants are interviewed by members of the Honors Program Committee, who look for evidence of intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, strong communication skills, cultural awareness, leadership potential, and creativity. No more than 15 students are admitted to the program per year.
Students in the program must maintain a 3.2 grade point average, must demonstrate regular progress toward completion of the program, and must live on campus all four years (with exceptions for study-abroad opportunities).
Download application (Word 2007 file)