Candidates who complete this major will be eligible for a license in Elementary Education (K-6) and Special Education General Curriculum (K-12).
This major will provide teachers with skills and understanding from each field, allowing a single teacher to deliver an appropriate education to all students in an inclusion classroom.
Program consists of 4.5 year plan of study: four years of courses and one internship semester. Students may choose to take courses over the summer.
The curriculum is structured so that prospective teachers will acquire competencies needed to become skilled teachers and leaders in the 21st century. All candidates completing this major will participate in a semester internship in a public school while taking related college methods classes.
The Integrated Education Program has the following goals:
1. To provide a survey study of all areas of exceptionality including the implications for education and access to the general education curriculum.
2. To provide professional preparation in General Curriculum and Elementary Education licensure by developing candidate competencies in each of the standards set forth by the NC State Board of Education for the area of Special Education: General Curriculum and Elementary Licensure.
3. To provide for competencies in methodology, research-based instructional techniques and programming, diagnosis, assessment, prescription, and the use of assistive technology, thereby insuring access, to the fullest extent possible, for each student within the General Education Classroom.
4. To pass the program exit examinations in both Special Education: General Curriculum and Elementary Education as determined by the NC State Board of Education.
5. To meet the education technology proficiency requirement.
6. To provide hands-on practicum and internship opportunities for skill development, skill assessment, and the practice of competencies throughout the candidates program of study.
7. To acquaint the future teacher candidates with the professional communities’ knowledge exchange network of journals, conferences, and professional organizations.