Field Experience Handbook
You can make a positive difference in the life of a young person, a family, a school, or a community. Your efforts and commitments will inspire young people to greatness. You will cultivate creative and critical thinking. You will empower children and their families and communities with knowledge, dignity, and hope. You will be a leader. You will shape the lives of future leaders. You will be a teacher.
Mars Hill University’s Teacher Education Program understands the growing need for well-qualified teachers in our public schools. American schools are defined by human diversity, widening achievement gaps, and socio-economic shifts. Today more than ever, our public schools need teachers who can cultivate the mind, the self, and the community. We need teachers who will empower the teaching profession. Within the next few years, our nation will need thousands of new teachers prepared to make a difference in the life of a child. Do you have the courage to teach?
Our Teacher Education Program offers teaching licensure in Elementary Education, Integrated Education, Middle Grades, Special Education, English as a Second Language, Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. By becoming a teacher, you have the unique opportunity to connect with students of all backgrounds and to be a leader in your community. What could be more rewarding than that?
In the Mars Hill University Teacher Education Program you will find a faculty committed to cultivating your personal and professional knowledge. We believe in empowering our candidates with respect, dignity, creativity, and integrity. We invite you to become part of the most rewarding profession – teaching. So, what are you waiting for?
Mars Hill offers the following teacher education programs leading to North Carolina licensure.
- Elementary Education (K-6): Dr. Belinda Eggen
- Special Education (K-12): Dr. Susan Stigall
- Integrated Education (Elem Ed K-6/Special Ed K-12): Dr. Chris Cain
- English as a Second Language (K-12) Dr. Tom Destino
- Middle Grades Education (6-9): Dr. Jim Brown
- English (9-12): Dr. Adrienne Akins
- Mathematics (9-12): Jennifer Rhinehart
- Science (9-12): Dr. Kari Loomis
- Social Studies (9-12): Pauline Johnson
- Art (K-12): Dr. Barbara Cary
- Music (K-12): Mike Robinson
- Physical Education (K-12): Joy Clifton
- Spanish (K-12): Dr. Greg Clemons
Add-on Licensure Programs (K-12):
- Academically/Intellectually Gifted: Dr. Chris Cain
- English as a Second Language: Dr. Tom Destino
- Reading Specialist: Dr. Barbara Cary
- Special Education: Dr. Chris Cain
The programs in Teacher Education at Mars Hill University are approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, making possible licensure reciprocity with 44 other states including the District of Columbia and Guam.
The Mars Hill University Master of Education will improve the education of children and their teachers through our belief in:
- A learner-centered and creative pedagogy
- A deep knowledge of the disciplines
- A commitment to critical agency and social justice
In education, we see the opportunity to build a better society.