Academic Advising Mission Statement
Mars Hill College will develop and promote systemic yet personalized faculty advising that helps students grow intellectually, spiritually, and personally. Moreover, academic advising is viewed as a cooperative learning experience between student and advisor that aims to help students understand and value the liberal arts, learn the connections between academic learning and the world of work, and cultivate life-long habits of good citizenship and service to others.
Our advising program outlines these guidelines for faculty advisors:
Faculty advisors will:
• help students by serving as personal mentors and academic advisors for students, recognizing that the student is responsible for scheduling, attending and keeping assignments for their academic advising appointments.
• help introduce incoming students to the MHC experience: the physical campus, the curriculum, the various academic departments and majors, the Student Support Services program, PowerCAMPUS Self-Service campus records system, and campus services.
• provide accurate information concerning course sequencing and academic planning. Faculty advisors will guide students through the college’s general education program?the LAA Commons and Connectors?and their respective major.
• help monitor students’ academic progress. Furthermore, faculty advisors will help students identify major and minor areas of study.
• facilitate character development by helping students identify personal, academic, and career goals. Further, Faculty advisors will help students learn time-management skills and how to prioritize activities in order to achieve short-term and long-term goals.
• facilitate students’ reflection upon personal interests, skills, and talents as well as areas for improvement. Faculty Advisors will help students learn how to monitor their own success in achieving life goals.
• help students identify and understand the relationships between educational and career choices. Faculty advisors will link students to Lifeworks and career services concerning information about internships, service learning opportunities, and graduate school options.